The year’s first project – sprouting date stones

First day of a new year and the sun breaks through after what seems like weeks of rain. How many days of this it’s going to take to dry out the ground, I can’t begin to imagine but I need to start doing something to convince me that 2013 will be a year in which I manage to grow things, after 2012, the year in which everything seemed to need water wings to keep going.

My first project for 2013, however, is an attempt to sprout some date stones. I tried this once before but nothing happened, but when I bought a pack of medjool dates just before Christmas and looked at the stones afterwards, I couldn’t resist the challenge. A little light googling led to these instructions which I am dutifully following. At present, the dates are finishing off their preliminary two-day soak. Tomorrow I clean them and put them to soak again. I’m hoping that with the help of my heated propagator I’ll have some success this time.

Comments are closed.